Things I don’t want to write about today:
- The attack on the Capitol
- Fools who take selfies of themselves committing crimes.
- The Black woman who was attacked in LA during a Trump rally. (Thank God she survived).
- The selfishness, greed, and complicit silence of the majority of politicians.
- Selfish, ignorant people who think the pandemic is not real — or at least not so serious — and are now taking up space in very real hospitals.
- The LA Rams, and pro football in general. You lost me after what you did to Kaepernick.
- Insecurity, manifesting as self-aggrandizement, that others are forced to listen to. (Watch Brian Regan’s “Me Monster” stand-up routine on YouTube ).
- White men in general. (There are some wonderful ones, but I’m tired of the demographic in general).
- White women. (See above).
Things that would be refreshing to write about:
- Mountains, when the light hits them just right, and they seem like the stillest, most beautiful thing there could be.
- Silence, at least a semblance thereof.
- Poetry (the good stuff).
- African-American voices.
- The way my cat is the one creature I spend time with who doesn’t know how bad things are.
- God and the way He provides strength through our faith, love and service.
- Spirituality — the understanding that it’s really not about us. (See previous #8).
- Unfamiliar flowers and the joy of learning their names.
- The joy my children bring me, however far or near they may be.
There have just been so many words written this week, ideas consumed, I don’t feel like adding to the weight. Do we really need one more opinion or perspective? Probably not. I hope this week shows you some peace, provides a shred of love for all inhabitants of the earth, and adds something fun, too. Good Sunday all.